Saturday, October 19, 2013
Day 2
So the second time coming back to volunteer was a little less stressful because the people were familiar with me. I brought a few books with different pictures of everyday items and the words for them to help the family associate different objects and their meanings. The family seemed to all remember most of what we had went over the time before. There was a few words they had to go over again but it definitely seems like they are learning the english words. We sat on the floor again, in a circle and went over the previous material and then started working with flash cards. I was there for a little over 2 hours and we all just repeatively went over the material. It is kind of different teaching adults english by using childrens books but it does seem to be pretty effective. I am getting a lot more comfortable being there and I am getting more and more ideas as to what to bring to the next voluteer time that could really benefit the family in learning the english language. I am hoping that eventually I can get the family to start using their english for common everyday communication between myself and others they interact with on a day to day basis. I think the next visit, I may try to see if we can go to the store to teach the english words on a lot of items considering buying food and knowing how to ask where something is, is vital, especially for a family that has little kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment